Kathy and Mike

Kathy and Mike

2.25.2012

Chontacuro

So, I spent about 12 days in January in Ecuador. I started in Quito (fun pictures coming later...I promise) and then went to Tena. I'm starting with this Tena feature story because it's a good one - a true Amazonian highlight. 

Please understand, I am an adventurous eater. At least, I think I am. And I feel I can claim that title without reservatino...because I ate a chontacuro.

This is me with the chontacuro in my hand (you can kind of see the edge of the little guy in the bottom center of the photo). Please note the look of sheer excitement (a.k.a. "no way I am really going to eat this thing") on my face. 

For those of you who are wondering..."What exactly IS a chontacuro?" Well, dear friends, I am so glad you asked. THIS (photo below) is a big yummy plate of chontacuros. (Disclaimer: I found this photo online. Only difference between these chontacuros and the one I ate is that mine wasn't on a skewer, it was in a bowl. But he looked exactly the same as these little dudes.)

These are in fact tree grubs - a very special delicacy in the Amazon region where I was visiting. They were served as a special treat. I can see you all now with your noses scrunched up thinking there is no way I actually ate that thing.

Oh...but I did.

And...it was actually pretty yummy. 

And...NO....it didn't taste like chicken at all. It was kind of a smoky, grilled flavor. A little chewier than I would have preferred (I have this thing about food textures), but I would honestly eat it again. 

P.S. If you ever have chance to eat a chontacuro, do not eat the head. It's crunchy...and not really in a good way. Just FYI. 

1 comment:

  1. Ew. Ew. Ew. This is why I told the Lord I would not be a good missionary.

    ReplyDelete